Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Things We Do for Love: Monster Truck Jam Edition

The most beloved DVD of all timeExactly one year ago, my husband's boss gave him the DVD to the right. "My son loved this—he watched it over and over," he said. "So I thought maybe Desmond would like it, too."

I remember the first time I played it for him. It was February 27, 2014, and we were in Montana. Dustin was out at a client meeting and Des and I were in our hotel room. I decided that I would pop the DVD into my laptop to entertain Des while I attempted to get ready for the day. He was immediately transfixed.

Mega Truck Adventures (which came out in 2003, and has some hilarious Amazon reviews) consists of three half-hour-long episodes of this guy Dave teaching kids about bulldozers, monster trucks and tanks. Desmond had no time for the bulldozers or tanks. He only wanted to watch the monster truck part.

For that one, Dave is joined by the equally jean-clad Becky, and they do everything from drive monster trucks themselves to visit a real monster truck rally. It's the cheesiest acting and dialogue you'll ever see. My husband compared it to something that starts with p and rhymes with corn.

That hair! That style!

Size does matter

After watching this video, Desmond became obsessed—and I do mean obsessed—with monster trucks. Along with Cars, "There Goes a Monster Truck" is really the only thing he watches on TV. I've given him a few other options. But he keeps going back for more gigantic-wheel mayhem.

Those who know Des have been kind enough to help him build his own personal monster truck toy collection. Here's just what was within arms' reach that I could pull together for a quick picture:

It could be worse, right?

But then last week I came across a friend's post on Facebook that made me think we could be doing more to enjoy this monster truck phase with him. This friend and her son had gone to a monster truck rally, and she had uploaded a video of one of the very same trucks that is actually featured on Desmond's treasured DVD. Hmm.

Grave Digger in all his glory.
Then yesterday I was on a tour of the school where Des will likely go to pre-K in the fall. A flyer hanging on the bulletin board caught my eye. It was for a "Monster Truck Jam" at a Chicagoland arena in just two weeks. I pointed it out to my husband. If they allowed the flyer in an elementary school it couldn't be that bad, could it? Hmm.

All sorts of wheels were turning in my head after we left the tour and I took one parting glance back at the flyer. Should we actually go to a monster truck rally?!? Wasn't it going to be a bunch of people in acid-washed jeans and '80s fashion, just like on the DVD? Wouldn't we be surrounded by mullets? Would it be safe? Would Desmond be scared? Am I being snobby about this?

I was still thinking through everything when my husband emailed me two hours later: "I bought tickets to the Monster Truck Jam. It's at 2 so Des won't have a nap that day."

Well, the decision was made for me, it seems. We are going to do something I never thought we'd do: go to a monster truck rally. All for Baba G, because we know he's going to love it.

Oooohh, yeeeeaaaah
As I was still working through my feelings about all of this, I remembered how my parents took me and my brother to a WWF match back in the day. Yes, I was really into professional wrestling once. I'm not sure if it was because I had a younger brother who dug it or because it was totally better back then with the Miss Elizabeth/Macho Man/Hulk drama (seriously, it was), but most people who know me today would probably bet lots of money that I would never be caught within 1,000 miles of a pro-wrestling tournament. But I went back then and freakin' loved it.

Yes, some big, burly and bearded biker-looking dudes spilled beer down our backs. And sure, it's probably where some of my hearing issues first started. But it was worth it.

And so I look forward to our monster truck adventure with Baba G. Rest assured I will report back in a few weeks!

- e

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. I can totally relate; I would have the same mixed feelings. Somehow, I have miraculously managed to keep Jack from Monster Trucks. Instead, we are seeped in trains. We've attended train shows and Thomas-themed events, taken multiple train rides, watched every Thomas episode multiple times, and own every Thomas the Train wooden railway engine and station imaginable. I only wish they served beer at some of these events. Enjoy the Monster Jam, and have a beer for me!

    ReplyDelete